The Motel Caswell is currently in litigation due to a process known as “civil forfeiture,” in which property can be taken regardless of whether an owner has committed a crime. This is known as forfeiture in rem, where the crime is being charged against a place, not a person. The Institute for Justice has joined in the fight for the Motel Caswell, challenging the seizure as unconstitutional on the basis of the 8th and 10th Amendments. Attorney Scott Bullock presented arguments to dismiss the case last week, and a decision on the matter should be released within the next 30 to 60 days.
The motel, when Richard eventually found it, was in a poorish state of repair, but no worse than most of the rest. The doorway had been painted, not well, but at least recently. The most striking feature of the door, however, was the bold and shiny brass plaque fixed in the dead centre of it, on which was engraved the legend:
NORMAN BATES' HOLISTIC MURDER MOTEL
We do the whole crime
We kill the whole person
(Missing women and nosy detectives a speciality)
Bates Motel, White Pine Bay
This week the ATTeam discuss their most recent binge-watches - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Netflix) and Bates Motel (A&E, Netflix).
The Masquerade Motel was inspired by so many factors. A mysterious world behind closed doors. Inspired by the LA Motels on the rides down Sunset Boulevard with Steve Angello and movies like Amadeus and Eyes Wide Shut.
There was to be a feeling of vacation within a vacation. Of Do Not Disturb, of privacy in public.
Masks were provided at Check In, chandeliers banged with sparklers, the LA style neon flicked and those with the key knew the secret.
The Masquerade Motel was to be a place of escape, of vacation. Check in and be OUR GUEST. But there was one rule…
01. Swedish House Mafia feat. Tinie Tempah – Miami 2 Ibiza
02. Alesso – Nillionaire
03. Matt Caseli & Danny Freakazoid – Raise Your Hands
04. Angger Dimas – Are You Ready (Mahesa Utara)
05. David Tort feat. Gosha – One Look (Axwell vs. Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike)
06. Nari & Milani – Kendo (Steve Angello)
07. Swanky Tunes vs. Deadmau5 – Together Strobe (Axwell)
08. Marco V – Reaver
09. Steve Angello & Laidback Luke vs. Axwell – Be Knas
10. Who’s Who – Yeah
11. Axwell – Heart Is King
12. Alex Metric & Steve Angello – Open Your Eyes (Tim Mason) w/ Depeche Mode – Personal Jesus (Acapella)
13. Axwell feat. Errol Reid – Nothing But Love
14. Pendulum – The Island Part 1 (Steve Angello & AN21 & Max Vangeli) [Pendulum Live]
15. Hard Rock Sofa & St. Brothers – Blow Up (Thomas Gold & Axwell) w/ Adele – Rolling In The Deep (Acapella)
16. Arno Cost – Lise
17. Funkerman feat. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Otherside 2010
18. Adrian Lux – Teenage Crime (Axwell & Henrik B Remode)
19. Carl Louis & Martin Danielle vs. Axwell & Dirty South feat. Rudy – Open The Message (Axwell) w/ Green Velvet – Flash (Nicky Romero)
20. Tim Berg vs. Kings Of Leon – Abow vs. Sex Is On Fire (Avicii)
21. Tim Berg vs. Michael Woods – Bromance Dynamik (Axwell)
22. Tim Mason – The Moment (Steve Angello) w/ Justice vs. Simian – We Are Your Friends (Acapella)
23. Alesso – Dynamite w/ Sebastian Ingrosso feat. MGMT – Kidsos
24. Swedish House Mafia feat. John Martin – Save The World Tonight
25. The Temper Trap – Sweet Disposition (Axwell & Dirty South)
26. Daft Punk – One More Time
27. Swedish House Mafia – One w/ Swedish House Mafia – One (Congorock) w/ Swedish House Mafia feat. Pharrell – One (Your Name) [Pharrell Live]
28. Laidback Luke & Axwell & Sebastian Ingrosso & Steve Angello feat. Deborah Cox – Leave The World Behind w/ Moguai – We Want Your Soul (Sebjak) [Encore Edit]
The Motel Caswell of Tewksbury, MA is currently involved in federal litigation due to a process known as civil forfeiture. Civil forfeiture occurs when a crime is charged against a property, and no charges need to be brought up against the owners. The only recourse for the owners would be to prove that they are "innocent" of any knowledge of the crimes, as defined by the Civil Asset Forfeiture Reform Act of 2000.
This case has gained the attention of such publications as the Washington Post and the Boston Globe, and the owner, Russell Caswell, and his attorney, Scott Bullock of the Institute for Justice, have appeared on many news programs to speak about the circumstances under which this case has developed.