The plan to shift the Punjab Legislature from its temporary accommodation in what is now the Civil Secretariat near Anarkali had been initiated in 1918-19, with the acquisition of ten acres of land at Charing Cross. The original scheme anticipated a large complex of administrative buildings. In November 1932, the Government of India decided to build on Charing Cross site. The cost was estimated at approximately Rs. 900,000. The Working Drawings and Estimates were expected to be ready by December 1933, and the structure by December 1935. It was planned to be 'one of very considerable architectural beauty, [and] will form the first stage in a scheme, to include on this site, a completely new Civil Secretariat with subsidiary local government offices. This scheme, however, is unlikely to materialize for many years to come'. Meanwhile additions/alterations to the Temporary Legislative Council cost Rs. 39,000, and were completed in October 1933.
LAHORE RECOLLECTED by F.S. AIJAZUDDIN (Pg. 143)